Friday, June 9, 2017

The sun shines once again


On a rainy afternoon last week, I sat down with my urologist and talked about cancer.

My cancer.

It was a pleasant enough conversation. He talked, I mostly listened. There was no drama and little outward emotion from either of us. The two boxes of tissues in the consultation room went unused.

All things considered, it appears that I’m a pretty lucky guy.

My cancer is located in my prostate, hasn’t metastasized elsewhere and is highly treatable with radiation and/or surgery. My chances of a cure – not a term used loosely by those in the medical trade – are good.

In the two months that I’ve lived with the possibility of having cancer, a succession of nightmarish scenarios played havoc with my peace of mind. For the first time in my 65 years on earth, I was forced to confront my own mortality.

As death shifted from being a vague concept into a very real possibility, a certain clarity of mind ensued. In the last few weeks, I’ve conducted an accounting of my life and what I have and haven’t accomplished.

The results of that assessment were sobering, but not altogether unpleasant. I’m a man of many faults and deep regrets. But I’m not a complete reprobate. I have had my moments, as they say. That said, I’m grateful I apparently still have time to chart new courses, right a few wrongs and work on being a better me.

The biggest problem with being as old as I am is not the aches and pains of an aging, disintegrating body, but the sadness of seeing family, old friends and acquaintances succumb to disease and debilitating illnesses.

Even as I celebrate – quietly, out of a fear of bringing kharma down upon me – my own positive prognosis, I have friends who face a cloudier, more uncertain future. Clicking my heels at my good fortune – even if I could accomplish such a feat without permanent damage – seems too churlish by half.  

A couple of former newspaper colleagues are waging much stiffer battles with the Big C than I am and are brilliantly documenting their journeys on social media. They are talented and brave, and their posts – which they hope will help others facing similar struggles – demonstrate vividly the depth of their character. I am proud to call them friends, and my prayers are with them and their families.

My own experience is more prosaic and less instructive. I’ll keep it largely to myself, not out of a concern for privacy, but out of an embarrassment for the good fortune I feel.

Later this summer, I’ll go under the knife to have my prostate removed. If necessary, I’ll undergo some follow-up radiation treatment to make sure all the cancer cells are destroyed. And after that?

Who knows? Of one thing I’m sure. The clouds eventually part, and the sun shines once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment